Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Love in a Tiny Package

Wow, the excitement! My new teeny, tiny, little camera is so adorably cute that I am blown away by the huge, brilliant photos it takes - plus it's so quiet. All these things are something my old digital camera is not or does not do. The difference is phenomenal.

I really haven't had time to play with it, but I was in the studio today packing up my pieces to send to Tucson for the 5th Annual Encaustic Invitational at Conrad Wilde Gallery, and I shot a few photos of the work before it went out the door.


Here is the front of the card for the show - just a little plug.

Anyway, here is Tale of Shadows, encaustic and mixed media on two joined panels, 21" H x 12" W as photographed by my old camera. (By the way, all these shots will open a page for a larger image if you click on them.)



And here it is below as photographed by the new camera:



Amazing, right?

Here are a couple of other shots of this piece.


From the side showing the rubber around the edges.



At an angle showing the front and side.


Now here is the second piece, Redacted Memory, same materials and size as the first. The shot below is from the old camera:


Now here's the same shot from the new camera:


It doesn't even look like the same piece, does it? I actually think the second shot is too light. The first one has a lot more mystery - mainly because you can't quite see anything!

Here is just one more shot of Redacted Memory:


This is just the "book" at the top of the piece with rubber redacting the words from the pages underneath.

All these photos were taken in my studio with just overhead daylight fluorescents and no flash. There was light coming in through the window but it was a very dark day today and late afternoon around 4:00.

This whiz of a camera is the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS. I don't know what all the initials are but you can just call it the 780. This is actually last year's camera, I think, because the new one is the 880. This one is 12.1 mega pixels. My old camera was 5.5 megapixels and cost way more. I got a good deal on this at Best Buy in a package that included the discounted camera, a 4GB memory card, a spare battery and a carrying case - all for $239.95 plus tax. Wow! I paid nearly $900 for my last camera about 4-5 years ago.

I got this camera so I would have it for my trip to New York and could take all those stealth gallery photos. Looks like I better practice up before I start going stealth because I don't know how to use it effectively yet and these photos above were just taken with the nothing special manual setting (rather than with all the auto gadgets that recognize faces, etc.). It's so great to have a tiny new toy! Color me mighty pleased.

3 comments:

p said...

wonderful photos of wonderful work. truly cool and i wish you the best for your show!

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Great seeing all these new pieces. I concur about the camera. I had a very early digital camera which cost a bundle and was huge. The new ones are just a treat to work with.

Gwendolyn Plunkett said...

I look forward to seeing these pieces in person.