Friday, March 26, 2010

Back from the Breather

Sometimes I just have to take a break from making art. It starts to feel too much like working for The Man (or The Woman, except not This Woman). There are many theories about making art and the connection to the spiritual, as in what makes art special or what makes art be art? I don't go in for a lot of that high concept stuff, but I do think that if I make art without the right emotional (or, call it spiritual if you have to) connection to the work, it will suck.

Thus, I'm just back from a breather in the interest of not making art that sucks. (Can you tell that I've been watching a lot of Anthony Bourdain?)



Reworked encaustic painting - still not renamed and still needing to be rephotographed to get it square.



Painting detail - this is not supposed to be square and it succeeds at that.


I like this painting. The colors and rhythm feel right and it looks very good in person.

I'll be back with more in a few days.

In the meantime, as Buster says, I hope you are well.

3 comments:

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Love this article. I totally relate to your commentary. When it starts to feel like work it's time for a breather.

I continue to be amazed at the surfaces you create on your work. I have just a general idea of the encaustic process but I know that handling all of the colors and layers is a delicate process and you do that with authority. Happy you are back in the studio.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating and rich painting!
However did your hear of little Buster!!
All best wishes from Buster's mum.

Nancy Natale said...

Terry, thank you so much for your comment on this piece and on my studio practice. You are a master of layers and color yourself in your own different medium.

Buster's Mom, I just love that little Buster and go to your blog every day. His adventures are very entertaining and the interactions with his friends engaging. Thanks so much for blogging about him. You do a great job!