Monday, December 6, 2010

Tending to Business

Because of the way I'm feeling, I just Googled "exploding head." I wasn't prepared for the blood and guts I got, so luckily, I just had a slide converted from my art school days that shows a more metaphorical vision.


A Nancy Natale image from art school days in the late '80s


However, instead of feeling like Old Master images are escaping from my brain, I'm feeling more like all those words and figures I've been working on are pouring out.

Sorry I've been missing in action from posting, but I've been working on grant applications and it's taken me way longer than I thought it would. For one of them, I had to write a three-page narrative covering the past 20 years and include 40 images representing the period. That meant that I had to get all those images converted from slides to digital images, so I not only had to resize and rename everything the way they wanted them, but I also had to find the slides that gave the info about name, date, materials and size. That was a task, but it made me wonder how I'm ever going to keep track of that info for the digital images I'm taking without the little slide labels. I guess I'd better get some kind of inventory system going.

Anyway, it's funny that the folk version of an artist's life pictures a lot of playing around with paint, hanging out with friends and laying around listening to music. We're actually some of the hardest working people I know.  (Check out Joanne Mattera's blog for a graphic visual representation of what I mean.) We not only have to crank out the widgets but do all the rest of that stuff I'm too tired to think about. The only thing inspiring me right now is the music I'm laying around listening to - Blues Guitar Legends on Pandora Radio.

I'll be back soon with lots of stuff; meanwhile, here's a great image to look at:


JUDY PFAFF, Untitled, 2010, Paper, wood, wire & rod, artificial flowers, 128 x 162 x 48 inches

I should only be so lucky as to make something so astounding!

5 comments:

eileen P Goldenberg said...

That must be the Gottlieb..I applied for that..yes daunting to find 20 years worth of work and make some sense of it..good luck I hope you get it!!

Pamela Farrell said...

NN:

I'm so glad you're going for it! I hope you'll keep us posted with your progress.

And re: grants, I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed...

Nancy Natale said...

Thanks, Eileen and Pam. I'm hoping the Fickle Finger of Fate points in my direction. One sure thing is that if you never apply, you are guaranteed not to get anything so I'm already ahead from that perspective.

lisa said...

Don't forget to backup back up and back up-you don't want to lose all those images and that work
I am keeping you in my mind for those grants.That is on my list when things calm down........?

Nancy Natale said...

Thanks for the comment, Lisa. I have Carbonite backing up my computer all the time, so I hope it's doing the trick.

Also thanks for keeping me in mind for the grants. I'll need all the vibes and electric charges I can get.